Saturday 7 August 2010

Day 17.

OMG! One of the best days so far!

Probably i could write and write and write about this day, but it's still too present for me to put it into words. I'm just full of good energy and charged for the rest of the trip. I got to know the side of Japanese society, that i like. And i hope i keep on getting deeper and deeper in this kinda warm and friendly layer...



My working day was short today, maybe because i was working with the host-dad, or maybe because it was my last day of work before leaving for good, so they didn't torture me too much. I even got 1,5 hours for my lunch break! So i took that time for making some pictures of Clare, which i will be posting a little bit later, because i just cannot handle the amount of pictures anymore. I was happy to finally go to the construction suite, where normally just boys go! But i guess, lack of male wwoofers made it necessary for me to join them there... I have to say - it was lots of fun! We worked with glass fiber - had to stuff the walls. It was interesting to work something, where you have to use your muscles (we had some carrying to do). On our way back home i saw a ceremony before starting to build a house. Never seen that before! We were finished more than 1 hour earlier than my normal working day stops, but my host-momma didn't give me any tasks, she just gave us some money for the festival and wished us lots of fun. That was really nice of her!

For me the festival started even before i got to the actual place. Taiwanese wwoofer decided to spoil me with english, so i felt so relieved i don't have to think about how to say what - that helped me a lot.
On our way to the spot, we passed a street musician, a guitarist, and i just had this urge to at least touch the guitar, because i missed it so much!!! So i risked it all and just went to him and asked for the guitar. In Europe i wouldn't have any second thoughts about this, because it's ok to just approach people like that, but right now i'm in Japan and it's all different. I was happy
though and succeeded, but unfortunately the guitar was tuned totally different and i just played around for a minute or two and after saying thanks set out for the festival. It was a little bit similar to the Azabu-Juuban Matsuri from last year in Tokyo, because they type of festival is the same, but it was also very different in a way, because it had way more cultural things, like performances and musicians. As always, i bought okonomiyaki since that is such a festival food for me, but i have to admit that my friend makes better okonomiyaki at home in the frying pan. However, it's not all about the taste, it's also about the process itself, of going out, buying yourself something from of the kiosks and eating somewhere on the side of the road. We were lucky to find a splendid place for eating! It was a staircase of some apartments' house just at the road, so we were watching performances as we ate. Pretty convenient, huh?

I went to the festival with the Taiwanese wwoofer and it was interesting to talk to him about our points of view to the world, our perspectives, how we understand cultures and certain points, how we see the aspects where cultures clash and it was new for me to explore a Taiwanese mind... It was at times complicated, because European opinions differ rather drastically from Asian, but i always tried to understand him as much as possible.
I again understood how difficult for me would be to settle down and how impossible it is to define me, since i feel nationless and i'm just being me. I'm travelling from very small age and i was exposed to different cultures, so i don't feel that i should be described as lithuanian or german or any other nation, because i'm a big mixture. I'm open to any income and i form my own ideas from everything i see, hear, feel, smell, realize... Festivals like that, conversations help me learn and grow, even though for some people it's just a random festival, but i can grab one small detail and make it my shining star for the whole evening!

Just before we went back home we stumbled upon a Taiko performance (a certain japanese drumming) which completely took me. Of course i took my time and made some pictures, but then i just sat down and enjoyed the music with all my body. It is actually amazing how the rhythm can get to you and move every cell inside of you. I already wanna try Kendo out, when i come back to Germany, but right now Taiko is also on the list - i would like to try doing that, even though there might be no possibility in Europe. Besides, i've never played drums in my life! But we'll see. I notice, that this year i explore way more new things than before and i'm so open to them, that some of them can completely take me and hypnotize. I think, i am repeating myself, but i'm sure it's gonna be the best summer so far this year. It is really interesting here and i'm gonna go back as a brighter person, but i'm worried a little bit, how will i be able to stay at one place for almost a year before next summer.

When i thought my festival is over, i got another surprise. We decided not to go home immediately, but instead of that, grab a cup of some drink and just sit down and talk. Talking and communicating in general is one of the biggest part of my life, so this just made the evening better. And on top of all those things, on our real way back (we were already at the station basically), i saw the same guitarist from before. He was still playing, so he recognized me and greeted. At that point there were some more people around, couple of them with their own instruments. One of them was playing exactly at the moment and i couldn't keep my hands still, when i heard his guitar's sound - his guitar was tuned the same like mine! This time we stayed for longer, because i could play and sing as well, that guy could speak really well english, so we just chilled for a while. Unfortunately, we had to back home. I was shining brightly yesterday! And when i came back home, i couldn't stop talking about my experiences, everything was just bursting out! This day was a great experience for me and even if it's not getting better for the rest of the trip, it's already amazing! I won't forget this day for long - i'm sure. I'm already looking forward to the end of August, when i'm gonna have my week off in Osaka and Kyoto. By the way, anyone's welcome to join me there!


Hachiouji Matsuri:













No comments:

Post a Comment